Easy peasy ways to make your blog prettier in 5 minutes

| On
August 20, 2013
I may not be an expert on blogging, but I do know a thing or two about what makes a blog pretty. It annoys me so much to see a blog with fantastic content, but an awful design--most people won't give your words a chance if your layout isn't aesthetically pleasing! It's sad, but true. Here's how you can easily make your blog prettier without buying a whole new design.

1. Make all your photos the width of your text column. This isn't hard. Use high-quality pictures when possible and resize them in Photoshop or at Picmonkey (free/no registration). This goes miles to make your blog look more professional, and it's super easy! This also applies to your widget. You can alternate sizes but make sure your edges aren't jarring.

2. Please clean up your sidebar. You don't need to have a widget for everything, you just don't. A bio, categories and ads (if applicable) should be your basics and you probably don't need much more.

3. A note about backgrounds and fonts. Please make your background, or at least the part behind the words white. Make your words black or very dark. Please don't use cursive. That's so not okay. Also, don't make big blobby chunks of words; no one wants to read that. Tough love, you don't want your blog to read like a textbook. As a rule of thumb, keep paragraphs to six lines or under.

4. Make your social media buttons match your color scheme. Well first off, have a color scheme. If you don't know how to make social media buttons, have any designer make them, I guarantee they'll be under ten dollars. I'll make them for a buck each. (design) The ones with the brand colors are just not pretty and aren't doing you any good at making your blog look put together. It's the honest truth.

What do you think keeps a blog looking clean and pretty?
35 comments on "Easy peasy ways to make your blog prettier in 5 minutes"
  1. Some great tips! Can you make me social media buttons for the bottom of my posts? How much would it be with install? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come over to the commenting dark side girl..! Glad you've joined us. It's so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing advice and so glad I had you to help me with my blog design!!!!
    -Caitlyn ~ chemgradboom

    ReplyDelete
  4. She did an amazing job on mine! It is so worth it!!!
    -Caitlyn ~ChemGradBoom

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should be forwarded it to every blogger. ever.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It so is! I'm loving it already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caitlyn, you're my favorite. Oh and you too Kayli. And I DMed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel free to tweet it/facebook it/ social media it to the world! I'm glad you found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this! It's the simple things that make a blog look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tips! You are the bestest :D How is your first week of school going??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! A good looking blog is important. I like a simple look, one popping colour and black and white to keep it simple and clean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great so far! And I'm still living! Thanks for asking and I'm glad the tips could help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think so too! You don't have to hire a designer to do things like this and they make a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely! Clearly that's what I prefer, but really bright colors can work just as well as long as they work together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great tips, Allie. Anyone can implement these on their websites and quickly see what a huge difference it makes for readers/visitors. If you expand on these in the future or have a second set of tips, maybe a before/after example would be a good thing to really show readers what an impact little details make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous tips, Allie! I've been working on cleaning up my blog and I think the thing that made the most immediate difference was making all my photos the same size. Uniformity is pleasing to the eye :) Loved your sponsor spotlight on Amanda K :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the suggestion! I'd love to do a second part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so underestimated but it really does! I hate it when blogs have them all random looking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha, I just found your blog through The Whale & Wasp, and my first thought was how pretty and clean your site looked. Awesome advice, for sure. My sidebars do look pretty disastrous most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well it's easy to let that happen! I used to have my goodreads shelf and my twitter feed and facebook feed but that's not all necessary! For you, some (mostly unsolicited) advice, maybe you could make a separate page for your popular posts? Otherwise, I think your blog looks really great! I love the colors and pattern in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have one of the prettiest blogs I've ever seen. I love your header :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much! That is so nice of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a great idea! Definitely gonna set aside some time and do that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice tips, I am always think to make my sidebar smaller, but at the moment I am not sure what I really want to delet, I need to make up my mind about that o.O
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you leave your URL, I can give it a looksee! Oftentimes, you can move things to your about page or make a whole new page for them. Or at least display them in a more aesthetically pleasing way.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok thank you, I already have some ideas but I will see when I manage to change some things, but thanks for your help and ideas anyways: www.herewildlife.net :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. For one, I would highly recommend only having one sidebar. You can take off the translator; non-English speakers usually have a translator built into their browsers. If possible, take out the AdChoices (unless it's actually benefitting you monetarily). And then this is up to you, but I'd suggest taking out the tag cloud and using categories instead. If there's less to look through it's more likely that people will use them. And then combine everything else into one column. (Just my tips!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are all great tips, i DEFINITELY have a lot of work to do in this department...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I'm always happy to give you a little looksee and some thoughts or do any design you need! (:

    ReplyDelete
  30. So I just changed my template completely now and I am quite happy about it ;) Thanks, just the tag cloude... I like it too much, hehe! A few little changes I want to do (like making or finding better and prettier social media buttons^^) but later!^^

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm happy to make you social media buttons (design tab)! Oh and the cloud looks fine once everything else is a little tidier! Your sidebar is so much easier on the eyes now, well done! I think only having one makes a huge difference. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i would really appreciate that, i know its kind of a train wreck, i just dont know where i should start.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just sent you like 25 twitter DMs :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1) I recently wrote a post (Free Social Media Buttons) that tells a little about installation.


    2) That is a little weird. I'm not a Bloglovin' expert though but I've found that they have customer service that will email you back about a problem. They've been pretty helpful to me in the past. I hope you get it figured out!


    And welcome to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature