As I've been noodling around with the idea of New Year's resolutions, I've been considering the idea of trying to add new habits into your life. In other words, focusing on adding baby steps every day instead of focusing on some big unrealistic end goal with no thought on how to get from A to B. So I've scoured a few sites for ideas and come up with a few of my own and come up with a list of habits for you to consider. Which of these habits will you try to add in 2016?
- Take a walk right after lunch every day.
- Put away technology at least one hour before you want to go to bed.
- Drink a glass of water first thing every morning.
- Meditate for a few minutes when you wake up in the morning.
- Take a 15-20 minute nap every day.
- Do a few sun salutations or a few minutes of stretching when you wake up and before bed.
- Park in a far-away parking spot for work or class.
- Do a certain number of push-ups, sit-ups or squats every morning or evening.
- Wake up and go to sleep at the same time every day.
- Plan your meals for the week every Sunday or right before you go grocery shopping.
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times a day + floss daily.
- Try a new food every week.
- Keep a gratitude journal.
- Give a genuine compliment every day.
- Choose an affirmation to repeat to yourself every day.
- Spend at least 15 minutes outside every day, no matter the weather.
- Block social media during the weekdays, or even just one day a week.
- Every night, congratulate yourself on your achievements of the day (even small ones count!)
- Watch the sun rise or set once a week.
- Set a certain "technology-free" hour every day.
- Keep a daily journal.
- Write a to-do list when you get out of bed every morning.
- Plan your schedule for the following day before you go to bed.
- Take active breaks every 45-60 minutes to stretch or jog in place.
- Spend one hour a night reviewing the material learned that day.
- Or review material every morning before class.
- Spend fifteen minutes tidying your bedroom or workspace.
- Read scripture for 15, 30 or 60 minutes a day.
- Memorize one Bible verse a week (practice every day).
- Doodle or draw phrases from scripture when you need a break.
- Practice praying at certain times of the day (when you wake up, before bed, before meals).
- Take meditative walks, focusing on a piece of scripture or praying as you walk.
- Keep a daily list of prayer requests and praises.
- Check in with an accountability partner daily to give and receive support for your spiritual goals.
- Talk to one person you don't know every day, even if it's just small talk while waiting in line or a quick hello.
- Call someone far away every week.
- Text someone every day to let them know you're thinking of them.
- Write a hand-written letter every week.
- Give away one thing you don't need every week.
- Make a budget and review your spending habits weekly.
- Instead of eating out, cook at home.
- Put a certain amount into savings as soon as you receive a paycheck.
- Save a certain amount of money every week.
- Spend a certain amount of time blogging every night.
- Plan your posts for the week every Sunday.
- Comment on a few blog posts every day.
- Share someone else's blog post on social media.
Let me know in the comments if you plan to work on any of these habits (or any others!) in the coming year! Or, just tell me about your goals or resolutions!