Where'd You Go, Bernadette [book review]

| On
July 20, 2013
So this is a book review. I've stayed away from book reviews from a long time because I thought I'd have to use phrases like "a novel that subverts conventions" and "affecting characters" and all sorts of phrases that actually tell you nothing about the book and why you should wanna read it. But this is my version of a book review.

The book is called Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Here's the cover.



Here's the basics: Fifteen-year-old Bee got good grades in eighth-grade. And what did her parents promise her? A trip to Antarctica. Yep, that's right. The only smallish problem is that Bee's mom (Bernadette) is agoraphobic and pretty much hates people and socializing and being in public. To her, spending time on a cruise ship is just too much to handle. So Bernadette disappears and Bee has to go halfway around the world. To some, Bernadette is crazy, but to Bee, her mom is her best friend.

Why you'll love this book: It's so funny--but intentionally. It's like it's smart funny and it makes me feel smart that I think it's funny. There's a lot of dry humor and sarcasm and that's just splendid. This book is very creatively written too. The book is made up of all of Bernadette's emails, receipts, journals and instructions to her virtual assistant in India (who turns out to be in the Russian mafia) and more that Bee "compiles" to make the book.

My favorite quote: “This is why you must love life: one day you're offering up your social security number to the Russian Mafia; two weeks later you're using the word calve as a verb.” --Bernadette

Basically: this book is funny, involves Antarctica, the Russian mafia and drama. Please, just read it. It was a great book.

Awkward book review done.

Over and out.
3 comments on "Where'd You Go, Bernadette [book review]"
  1. This book has been on my radar for awhile, but I had yet to read what I consider to be a legit book review (which to me means, from a blogger). I love reading book reviews by bloggers because I know they're going to give you the real deal. Thank you for telling us about this book and why we should read it! Sounds like a good Summer read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was! It's the kind of book that wasn't suspenseful exactly but I kept wanting to get back to it--it's just SO creatively written. Like when I was reading it I just kept thinking, who comes up with this?? But it's great, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] arrogant 5 more things I’m not ashamed of (but probably should be) Three Must-Read Memoirs Where’d You Go, Bernadette [book review] Marie Curie, karate chopping stereotypes. Funky Mood? Not for Long. The Good and Bad of Living in […]

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature