4 Entertaining Podcasts You Should Be Listening To

| On
November 19, 2014

Over the last few weeks, I've started walking--a lot. I don't have a car and I try to ride the bus as infrequently as possible. I get more exercise in (I usually get 10,000 steps in by 3pm!), I get fresh air and I like to think I'm helping the environment out a little bit. A few weeks ago, I was taking a bus to get dinner just two blocks away. But now, I walk to almost all of my classes, even when they're about a thirty minute walk away. 

So what brought about this change?

Podcasts

I've always liked podcasts. I'm not a good listener by nature. I'm an unapologetic visual learner. I'd much prefer to read than listen to someone talk, but gradually, I've become a believer. I've made a policy that I don't listen to podcasts unless I'm walking + now that I've found some podcasts I love...well, I'm walking everywhere. 

And of course, I don't want to keep these to myself (though I'm sure you've heard of some). 

My favorite podcasts:

1. Serial / It's new and it's all the rage among podcast-listeners. Serial is pretty much a long, audio-only CSI episode. Over the course of many episodes, a journalist investigates the case of an 18-year old boy who was accused (and convicted) of murdering his girlfriend in the 1990s. I change my mind at least three times an episode as to whether he did it or not! It's so exciting, sometimes I find myself speedwalking out of stress! ;) If you listen, make sure you start on episode one! 

2. Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! / I've only just started listening to WWDTM and I already love it. I was trying to describe it to my roommate and it's like a comedy meets a newscast meets an SNL sketch of a weird Hollywood gameshow. It's super fun! Just yesterday, I was walking back home from one of my classes and burst into this huge grin after something funny was said, and this girl walking towards me on the sidewalk thought I was smiling at her and gave me the weirdest look. Point of story: it's funny and it'll make you feel up-to-date on current events.

3. This American Life / Yeah, yeah, I know. If you listen to podcasts, you listen to TAL. Most recently, my favorite was episode #504: How I Got Into College. TAL always has interesting takes on life and curious stories. 

4. All Songs Considered / I've talked about ASC before on the blog, but I thought I'd mention it again. ASC is my favorite podcast for discovering new and interesting music. I particularly like how the two guys on the show tell a little history about the artist or band and comment on what they like about the songs. Plus, they always choose random genres of music that I might not otherwise listen to. Most recently, I discovered (click to listen on Youtube) "I Don't Want to Change You" by Damien Rice and "Slow" by Leonard Cohen on All Songs Considered.

So! I'm challenging you to listen to one (or more!) of these podcasts this week while getting outside and getting some fresh air and being active. It's always worth it!

What are your favorite podcasts? Do you have any other strategies for making long walks fun?

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature