9 Ways to Calm Your Brain After a Busy Day

| On
November 18, 2014

Last week, I was with my wellness coach (and yes, those are a very real thing) and we were talking about relaxation and destressing in positive ways. Like a lot of you, I work all day and think all day and then at night, somehow we're supposed to be able to just stop thinking. Just like that. 

And I'm sure you've found out...it just doesn't work that way, especially if the thoughts running through your head all day have been intense or complex. So my coach has been teaching me that those feelings are natural. We can't just think-think-think all day and then go to sleep; we need to transition our brains to calm the heck down and let them know they can shut up for the day. 

The biggest way we can do this is through relaxation techniques and calming activities. But all of the suggestions that my wellness coach offered just didn't quite...fit me. I'm not a huge journaler and I have never gotten into the habit of meditation, so she encouraged me to find some other ideas and try them out. 
  1. Read (in bed!)
  2. Cross-stitch/knit/crochet/doodle/do some sort of repetitive hobby.
  3. Do a little yoga--here's a great end-of-day yoga sequence.
  4. Take a slow 15-20 minute walk around the neighborhood.
  5. If you don't like journaling, try taking a scrap piece of paper--or even a sticky note--and writing down your highs and lows of the day. You don't even have to keep it; just toss it in the trash when you're done!
  6. Take a long shower (once in awhile is fine!) and try to let all the bad moments of the day go down the drain. 
  7. Clean up your living space. At the end of the day, I tend to clear up my desk. It's a pretty mindless task and I like to think it sort of symbolically tells me brain that I'm done at my desk for the day. Plus, then your desk will be clear for you in the morning!
  8. Watch a little TV. Haha we all know I love television, but as long as we use it intentionally! At the end of the day, I love relaxing to an episode of Dance Moms or Lost or something!
  9. Listen to binaural beats, nature sounds or white noise as you finish up your work. I really like the Deep Relax app for both binaural beats and relaxing sounds. Plus, these are perfect to transition you into sleep!
How do you relax and destress after a busy day?


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature